Marine cables consultancy for offshore wind, tidal, power and telecommunications
- Project management of difficult subsea cable construction projects from development to operation.
- Design and engineering of all aspects of power cable systems, including accessories and cable protection systems.
- Advice on gaining consent from the regulatory authorities, such as the Maritime Management Organisation in the UK, for planned submarine cable systems.
- Procurement, contract and commercial consultancy of supply and installation requirements including developing LOGIC, FIDIC, BIMCO and bespoke contracts.
- Support to operations and maintenance for fault location and repair activities.
- OFTO transfer consultancy and support of investment in export cables.
- Insurance policy and claims advice for installation and operational problems.
- Technical advice to marine warranty surveyors, financial investors and insurance companies.
- Technical development of cable collection systems for tidal energy arrays.
- Sales support for cable supply and installation companies.
- Support of surveys, UXO detection and boulder clearance or re-positioning.
- Offshore wind development and associated construction activities
- Power cable interconnector systems
- Fibre optic cables and transmission systems
- ICT and telecom networks
- Oil and gas power cable systems
- Tidal energy arrays and connections
- Subsea cable networks
- Defence cables and systems
Lawrence Smith is the director of 6SConsultants. He has over 32 years experience in all aspects of submarine cable systems and associated technologies. After graduating fromLiverpool University with a Bachelor of Engineering degree (with honours in mechanical engineering), he joined the graduate training scheme at STC plc in Greenwich, London UK. After moving onto the GEC wire and cables group based in Dagenham and Gravesend, he completed an executive MBA course at the CASS business school. He held senior system supply roles at GPT and Siemens/NSW before becoming the operator of submarine cable systems. He has spent 20 years developing submarine cable projects and is one of the most experienced subsea cable professionals in the offshore wind market. A member of the Institute of Engineering Technology, he spends most of his time engineering and project managing submarine cable projects around the world.